Thing 20: Social Reading & Book Stuff

Image result for social reading - children
SOCIAL READING AND BOOK STUFF

The Concept of Social Reading originally brought to mind reading for pleasure. As I learned more I realized that especially on the elementary level this was a concept that I had never explored. Everything I tried to develop became too structured and reflected pair share reading. This was too much like school work. Then I tried s digital book club but it was still too teacher led and not a social setting.

So then with my 3rd and 4th graders I provided a venue in both lab and library who just wanted to talk about books they liked to meet. At first they just met and it was total chaos but as they started to listen to each other they decided they really wanted to share and read books. They realized that they had interests in things that they had never even thought of. They suggested books for future book orders and  explored places they could read them online for the time being.

The amount of teachable moments that developed out of the opportunity to be a social reader amazed me. It is not for every student but the students it spoke to made me realize that if they continue this practice into the future- they will lifelong readers and beyond.

Some of the resources we used were: Tiny Cat, Book Reviews within OPALS, Epic, Good Reads, Google classroom, Youtube Read Alouds, FlipGrid, and we shared a few Kindles, Audiobooks, and print copies of books in Google docs that students could each highlight and comment on in collaborative manner.



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 1: Blogging

Thing 3: Twitter and Other Online Communities

Thing 5 : Presentation Tools