Thing 2: Photo Fun


Photos are a tool that always have moved me. They evoke emotion and wonder in me and I think that they do the same for my students. When teaching I often explain to my students that we always need to remember that the pictures are telling as much of the story as the words are. So, needless to say this was a FUN thing to experience.

The photo above was a combination of tools. The thank you image is from Unsplash. Although credit is not necessary for this photo : Photo by Courtney Hedger on Unsplash. I then gathered some meaningful props for the color hand photo and took it on my phone, and pulled up an older photo from my google photos and downloaded it to my phone. I then used a collage tool I have on my phone PhotoGrid to put the collage together and uploaded that photo to my computer.

I shared this photo on Instagram also with some of my family members. I have had an Instagram account for 2 years and enjoyed other's posts but never shared before. It was so easy. My family also thanks you for this experience. They have titled the photo " 60 years of Dedication".

Let me share with you the meaning of this collage. My mom was a nurse for 60 years and took a terrible fall that forced her into retirement and a very limited lifestyle. I have been procrastinating and had not yet started a project to honor what this lovely and caring nurse had done for 60 years. This "thing" has empowered me to put together this little thank you.

I opened a Shutterfly account and had thank you cards made. The cards say,"Though your youth may fade- your love, care, and healing will always live on. Thank you". I will have former colleagues, friends, and family send these cards to my mom throughout the winter. It will ease a long season of being home bound.

I would like to use a similar project in February as a month of gratitude- my students will be encouraged to design their own thank you cards or notes. I can see limitless uses for all of these resources. I can not wait to have my students begin exploring and discovering.

I know my students have been very limited in the world of images that have been available to them. This is going to give them tools to become much better digital citizens and allow their creativity to be limitless.

I do struggle with the public forums such a Instagram, Facebook, Twitter-, etc....for elementary students. I do not feel they understand digital citizenship and safety at a level that allows them to navigate a public forum safely. I do think these concepts and tools can be introduced and used in a monitored capacity to prepare them for a full use of these forums when it is age appropriate.



Comments

  1. What a lovely tribute to your mom. 60 years of nursing! That's an amazing career. So sorry it's been a rough time for all of you. Love your idea for a month of gratitude with your students. Lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 1: Blogging

Thing 3: Twitter and Other Online Communities

Thing 5 : Presentation Tools